Saturday, May 16, 2015

Chapter 260 : The Final Dream


Translators : Kaezar, Pielord Miniman
Editors/Proofreaders : Jason Li, ETA.Alpha.Theta


―○●○―


Part 1
Part 2



Part 1




When I came to, I found myself in the white dimension.
The usual white dimension.
I can count the number of times I’ve come to this place on the fingers of both my hands and yet this place remained the same empty white place every time.

And so whenever I came here, my appearance changed to that of my former self.
With a protruding belly and flabby soft fingers.
My body being helplessly overweight.
But strangely enough, there’s no longer that unpleasant feeling.
That irritating feeling that welled up from within my heart each time I came here was no longer.
And so I thought that it was nice in itself.
I wonder if it’s because it’s been a long time since I’ve came to this place.
Or perhaps....

“......Huh?”

That’s strange.
I didn’t remember having removed my bracelet after such a long time.
There was no need to remove it.
Despite that, just why was I in this place?

Huh.
Maybe it’s because I did something in the first place that I came here.
I couldn’t remember doing anything like that before I went to sleep today.
Maybe it’s one of the children’s doing.....

No, but I had the feeling of witnessing something that hadn't happened in a very long time.
Ten years felt like a long silence.
Somehow, my memory was fuzzy.

“Yo.”

My memory was fuzzy but my vision was clear.
Within this white dimension, that guy was there as usual.
A lump of mosaic.
It was Hitogami.

But I wonder just what happened to him.
Hitogami’s condition looked somewhat strange.

His body was completely roughed up.
On top of that, each of his limbs were stitched up by a magic formation-like something, and it looked like he was tied up with translucent chains.
Like an RPG’s last boss.
It’s like we have to bring down his right leg or his resurrection magic will be troublesome.

“.........”

What happened?
Are you playing a make-believe game of a fallen angel getting sealed?

“I’ve been done in.”

By who?

“Do you really want to hear that?”

Just who will hear except me?
Just who is here except me?

“......Try looking behind you.”

When told to do so I turned back.
I saw many people standing there.
They were standing with their backs to me.

They were all unfamiliar people to me.
An unfamiliar male and an unfamiliar woman.
An unfamiliar Demon Race and an unfamiliar Human Race.
Probably a total of 8 people.

There was a familiar person within that group.

It was Orsted.
He never changes.
But there were some uncommon marks on him.
He didn’t have that black helmet.
Furthermore, he had a huge scar on his face.
Due to that scar, his face looked even fiercer than usual.
However, the people surrounding him were smiling in contrast to him.
Orsted wore that same angry face as usual, but a slightly happy expression could be seen on his face as well.
I couldn’t hear the contents of their conversation but I could tell that they all had mutual trust between them.

The one who was talking was....a boy.
Probably 17~18 years old.
With short hair, a good-looking guy with a sportsmanlike face.
That’s definitely the face of a Riajuu.1
He looked Oriental.
Still, that’s a nice smiling face he’s got there. I wonder if Orsted’s curse was ineffective on him.

When I was looking at him, one woman stood up from their group.
That child, who was sitting among them as if hiding herself, should be called a girl rather than a woman.
A girl with blue hair.
Near her, a gigantic white wolf was waiting.

Ah, I felt like I’d seen her somewhere before.
She looked like Roxy.
But she wasn’t Roxy.
I am certain that she’s from the Migurd Race, but I could never mistake someone for Roxy.
Then, just who is she?
Don’t tell me......Lara?

As I pondered, she faced towards me and waved her hand.
No, it couldn’t be me.
She’s probably waving her hand to Hitogami who was behind me.

When she did, the man beside her started talking with her.
Perhaps he was asking what she was doing.
She answered something to him and then that man turned this way with a surprised face.
He also had an Oriental face.
People with faces like that were few in this world.
Perhaps he’s Japanese?
He might be in his 20s....doesn’t feel like he’s in his 30s.

He faced this way and quickly bowed.
His actions seemed Japanese, so he’s Japanese after all.
Possibly.

In doing so, all of them now faced this way.
There were both young and old people.
I thought that there were only 8 people at first, but it seemed that there was a whole crowd of them. Under the mist, it was hard to see.
The only familiar face was Orsted but......
Ah, I wonder if that person is Eris.
A warrior with braided red hair was looking this way.
But she was a little different from Eris.....

Each of them faced this way and bowed in gratitude.
I wonder if it’s towards Hitogami.
No, it’s a little different considering their manners.
I wonder what.

As I pondered, they stepped on the magic formation made by Lara and disappeared somewhere.
All of them, suddenly vanished.
The magic formation remained and gave out a light blue color.
And then, after a while, the magic formation lost its light and disappeared as well.

Everything disappeared.

“All of them joined forces to persecute me. They did this, roughed me up, and then sealed me.
Because if I die, then the final Human World may be destroyed as well, or so they say.”

It’s going to get destroyed?

“Don’t know. Cause I wouldn’t know about the destruction.”

I see.
That’s obvious.
Since no one knows what would happen after they die.

“Are you satisfied now?”

About what?

“This. The conclusion you desired for.
I will continue to live here alone with all of my powers sealed.
I will continue to live here so that the world keeps on going.
I can no longer see the world anymore. I can’t even talk with anyone.
After this, I will just continue to gaze at this empty white world, a scene without any boundaries.”

I wonder.
I wouldn’t know if you ask me something like if I’m satisfied.
My objective wasn’t to bring you to this state.
I simply wanted to live my life with Sylphy, Roxy, and Eris.
Earning money from a job, coming back home to have dinner with my family, and when night came, I would make children while all drenched in sweat.
An ordinary......yep, an ordinary lifestyle.
I would have been the most happy in that ordinary life of mine as far as I’m concerned.

“Your happiness is my unhappiness though.”

I see.
Then, I’m satisfied.
Because you look really unhappy right now.
If that’s what become of you, then I will definitely be happy.

“I see.....is that so.....that’s quite odious.”

I couldn’t understand Hitogami’s expression.
But his voice wasn’t filled with hatred.
It just felt like he was wrapped up by sorrow.
And then Hitogami spoke like he was about to cry.

“I really hate you.”

I see, but you know, I──



My consciousness paused.




Part 2


When I woke up, I was on top of a bed.
A very large bed.
A bed so big that even three people could lie down comfortably, and it was a very soft bed as well.
No one was sleeping beside me.
I could move my neck and eyes but couldn’t move my body too much.
The blanket seemed a little too heavy.

While moving only my sight I looked at my surroundings.
When I did, I saw a red-haired girl sitting near me.
Stern slant-eyes and a firm jawline.
She looked exactly like Eris.
But she had a docile braided hairstyle, and was far smaller than Eris. Her height and breast too.
She was probably 5 years old.

When her eyes met mine, she dropped the thing that she was holding in her hand and jumped up in surprise.
The chair fell with a bump and as she was about to fall down I quickly supported her.

I wonder how I supported her even though I couldn’t move my body.
Even I didn’t really understand that.
But the girl put both her hands on the ground while in mid-air, reorganized her posture that was about to fall, and after she tapped the floor with her feet, she immediately ran out of the room.

“Mama! Mama! Great-Gramps has woken up!”

As she noisily ran outside I saw the thing that she had in her hand before.
It was the bracelet carved with the Dragon God’s insignia.
I didn’t remember removing it but it’s clear now. When I was sleeping, she removed it.
I unsteadily moved my hands and caught the bracelet.
It was awfully heavy.
No, it wasn't heavy, I simply had no strength.
My hand had become so thin that it couldn’t even lift up one bracelet.

And then, I caught sight of my reflection in the mirror.

I could see the figure of an old man, whose body was sunken in the bed and looked like he could die at any moment.

With white beard and white hair.
Deep wrinkles.
The shadow of death floated on his entire face.

Ah, I remember.
I was 74 years old right now.
But, huh.
I couldn't recall anything other than that.
Looks like my memories had taken a toll as well.
Was there such a room in my house....

“Rudi!?”

The one who leaped inside the room was a white haired woman.
Probably 40 years old.
She had already become a fine woman.
When her eyes met mine, she quickly ran up to me and grasped my hand beneath the blanket.

“Is it.....Sylphy?”
“Yeah.....that’s it. That’s right, Rudi. It’s Sylphiette.”

Sylphy gently told me.

“Do you know who I am?”
“Yeah.....yeah, I know.”
“What happened to me?”
“Nothing. You just slept for a long time.”

I just slept.
I see.
I certainly felt a little sleepy.

“But I can’t move my body.”
“Yeah, looks like it.....yeah......”

Sylphy didn’t answer my question.
She just kept brushing my hand as if to sympathize.
Like she was accompanying a senile old man…….

Huh, perhaps I have….
I have become senile?
Was that the reason that I didn’t have any memories?
Huh?

Even though age 74 isn’t an age like that.
But, was I really 74 years old?
I hadn’t aged a bit more or something, right?
Did I become senile because I slept for so long......?
Just how long have I been bed-ridden?

“I’m scared.....”
“It’s alright. Because I’m with you.”

Sylphy, who was gently brushing my hand, was now tightly holding it.
Just from that, my fear decreased by a little.
But, I was scared again.

As I pondered that, I could see many people entering the room in succession.
A child with red hair, a child with blue hair, a child with blond hair.
Young ones, middle-aged, and old-aged people.
They stood encircling the bed that I was sleeping in.
I had seen each one of those faces somewhere.

“Look, Rudi. Everyone’s here now.”
“Yeah.......”

But I wonder why?
I couldn’t remember anyone’s name.

Ah, there was someone I recognized.
The person who was at the very back. She shut the door behind her and slowly walked towards me.
A girl with a small chest and blue hair.
Her hair was in a braid.
She hadn’t changed at all.

“Roxy.”
“.........Rudi.”

The moment she saw me, she made a crying face only for a moment.
But quickly came to the side opposite to Sylphy’s.
And then, she gently and slowly caressed my head.

“Rudi, thank you very much for your efforts.”
“Thank you, Roxy─.....master.”

Suddenly, the word master came out of my mind.
Tears started spilling out from Roxy’s eyes.
Although she hurriedly wiped them and gave a smile, her lips weren’t able to make a smile, resulting in a distorted face.
There, I raised one question.

“Where’s Eris? Is she not here?”

I couldn’t see the usual appearance of the woman who would come running to me the foremost.

“Rudi. Eris has already left, you know?”
“Where?”
“She’s waiting for you, Rudi.”

Ah, I see.
That’s how it is.

“Was I able to take care of her in her final moments?”
“Yeah. It’s alright. You cried for 3 days straight but you were nicely able to get over it, Rudi.”

Ah, as I recalled it came to me.
Eris was still training energetically even after crossing 70.
Then one day, after her usual morning-run and practise swinging, she came back home all tired and collapsed on the bed. After that, she didn’t wake up.
When I realized, she had already passed away.
If I had realized sooner then I could’ve saved her by using healing magic. I cried a lot that day......


But I get it.
I didn’t even remember something like that.
Then that means that even I didn’t have much time left.....

“Sorry. Even though everyone’s here, I can’t tell who is who.”
“Yeah. It’s alright. Let’s see.....from over there, they are all our grandchildren. That’s Lucy’s child, Roland. The one next to him is─”

Sylphy started telling me by pointing her finger to each and every one.
It seemed that most people here were grandchildren or great-grandchildren.
Then just where did all of our children go?
Ah, everyone became independent I see.
Everyone now lived away from us.

“And, that red-haired child, who looks exactly like Eris, is Ars’s grandchild and Rudi’s great-grandchild, Ferris.”
“Ah, the one who woke me up, is it?”

The red haired child looked somewhat uncomfortable.
She’s probably scared that I would get angry at her for taking off the bracelet.
But I felt like I had seen her somewhere before.
Ah....
That’s right, it was during Hitogami’s dream.
She was there among the crowd as well.
Yeah, that’s right.
Indeed, she was there. She had grown a lot by that time but she was definitely there.

“Come closer.”

When I spoke, she came out from hiding and looked like she was about to cry.

“Were you the one who removed this?”

When I pointed my finger towards the bracelet, tears came falling down in large drops from her eyes.
Thinking that a scolding was now inevitable, so she thought that maybe she could get away by crying.

“Sorry. But it was so pretty.”
“I see. Then, I’ll give it to you.”

When I said that, she looked at me with a puzzled face.

“Is it fine?”
“In exchange, you must promise to never again take people’s possessions, OK?”
“.......OK, I promise.”
“Alright. Good girl.”

I slowly reached out my hand and brushed her hair.
Perhaps she might get a scolding after this but well I guess it’s fine.
It’s not as if it’s my responsibility if she ends up getting spoiled.

“Everyone looks lively.”
“Yeah. We’re all lively.”

I was relieved after hearing that.
If I had so many grandchildren and great-grandchildren, then everyone should be lively.

“I’m glad. You all must’ve worked hard....”

When I lost my strength, my hand slipped away from Ferris’s head.
The surroundings got noisy.
It’s alright.
Even I wouldn’t just drop dead like that.
I could continue living like a bedridden old man for a little while more.

When I was thinking that, someone entered the room.
A tall person.
Having silver hair and an angry look.

“Rudeus.”
“......Orsted-sama.”

The moment he entered the room, the surrounding atmosphere changed.
Tension?
Vigilance?
No, it was something more loose.
It was relief and trust.

“Is it fine without the helmet on?”
“Yeah. Because if I wear it, one of your grandchildren will start crying.”

When Orsted said that, the surroundings were filled with laughter.
Various voices flew out like ‘I won’t cry anymore, geez’ or ‘You were such a crybaby before.’

“So your normal face is no longer feared, eh?”
“No, the curse hasn’t changed. It’s just that it doesn’t have any effect on your children and grandchildren.”

Orsted’s face now looked a lot calmer than I had saw him at first.
His scary face was still there but it could be said that it’s more relaxed now.

“Oh right, Orsted-sama.”
“What is it?”
“Just now, when the bracelet was removed, I saw Hitogami in my dream.”
“......Did you become an apostle?”
“Well, I wonder about that. It’s possible that it was just a normal dream.....if I have become an apostle, then what’ll you do? Will you just kill me like always?”
“Yeah, of course. Because I’m merciless against those who betray me.”

Orsted said that with a serious face but I quickly understood that it was a joke.
Because everyone started laughing, and Orsted wasn’t giving out any killing intent.
It felt like saying something like this in front of an bedridden old man on the verge of his death was uncalled for but......they might’ve let it slide as a joke.

“In the dream, Orsted-sama gains victory against Hitogami and Hitogami is sealed as a result.”
“That’s a nice dream.”
“Yes, it definitely is.”

I wonder if what I saw was the future.
It felt quite real, but then again, dreams are quite fully filled with reality.

“Please work hard so that my dream comes true.”

Orsted nodded in earnest.
As one would expect, after seeing his face every day for 50 years, I could now comprehend even that face.

“You’ve done a lot so far. You can sleep peacefully now.”
“Haha....it’s still too early for me to sleep, you know?”

I want to stay awake for a little while more.
I was feeling good.
I couldn’t move my body much, but the sunlight felt warm and pleasant.

“I’ll stay awake for a little bit more. Just a little bit more.....okay?”

Even if I stayed awake, it’s not like there was something in particular that I had to do.
Just a little bit more, a little bit more. I wanted to see the faces of all the people that were here for a little while longer.
That’s all.

So to speak.
I was just a little bit reluctant about parting.

I just wanted to see them for 1 or 2 more hours. It would be fine even if it’s 10 minutes.
It’s not like I had something to say to them.
I had no lingering affections.
Nor any regrets.

If I just stayed here for a little bit more, I’ll be satisfied.
That’s it.

Just a little bit more....."

While thinking that, my eyelids started falling.
They fell ever so gradually.
In the end, I saw the child’s face that looked like Eris.
Then I saw Sylphy’s and Roxy’s face.

Finally, my eyelids shut.





Without change, my consciousness disappeared.




―○●○―




Translator Notes and References


1. A succesful Person in real life.

Kaezar : By the way, I'm not allowing the final five chapters to be hosted on Baka-Tsuki. I don't want this team effort to go to waste, people should know just who worked so hard to bring you these translations and I want you guys to respect that. So, yeah, that's how it is.
Also, it's no one's fault, I had this intention from the start.


Previous Chapter | Next Chapter

   66 comments :

  1. Replies
    1. Yeah I like orsted last word. Yeah rides it's OK to close your eyes and got eternal rest

      Delete
  2. yeahhhh
    thanks :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, kaezar u are realy somthin..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the chapter.
    It was good journey Rudius Greyrat may you rest in peace

    ReplyDelete
  5. quite realistic

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh god , i`m crying now =) Rest in Peace Rudy =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. im crying so much right now.... noooo rudi....eris.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. somehow there's a ninja slipped in my room and start cutting onion. did the same thing happen to anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks^^
    damn...that fade text effect really nailed me...(☍﹏⁰)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tears were swelling up,mixed with some confusion in the next chapter xD.
    Anyway Thanks for the hard work in translating this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Even though this should be a happy chapter, it still feels so sad =/ Thank you for all the chapters!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This chapter was heavy I'm holding back the tears! I gotta keep strong! THANK YOU ALL FOR THE HARD WORK!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. that fade word at the end...so goooddddd Q.Q

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good job you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Right now, I'm feeling both happy (they won) and sad (Rest in peace Rudi and Eris). Anyway, thank you all for your work.

    ReplyDelete
  16. so sad this is the end :(

    ReplyDelete
  17. Personally, I really hate these kind of endings.
    I suppose it suits the story, but it doesn't change that I dislike it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the new chapter! R.I.P. Rudeus. T_T

    ReplyDelete
  19. Almost half tear left my left eye, good work, thanks for the chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Tears flow out, why is it feel so real just by reading!
    Thank you Kaezar and team for this!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That fading letters! T_T

    ReplyDelete
  22. Al Autor, a Kaezar y Compañia... por todo su trabajo... Gracias...

    R.I.P. Rudius Greyrat...

    ReplyDelete
  23. I lost it on Eris departure. :,(

    ReplyDelete
  24. The story is over, and we find out that Mushoku Tensei was actually all about Dead End.

    Everything before before the teleport incident was just preparing Rudeus and Eris.
    The main bulk of the ~first half of the story is traveling with Ruijerd as the adventurer group, Dead End.
    Then you've got those school chapters that don't really have much to do with Dead End, except maybe Paul and Old Rudeus.
    Finally the ending. All three are reunited, Dead End is back together, and the story ends as...

    ...Dead End.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I, I'm not crying! It's just raining on my face.
    This chapter was so wonderful and so sad. Can't stop thinking about it since yesterday. Thank you author for this wonderful, wonderful story, and thank you translators for allowing us to experience it. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  26. thank you for the final chapters.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you very much translators and also for author of this WN. Although disappointed for the ending but still I appreciate your efforts...

    ReplyDelete
  28. I understand not hosting the series on B-T, but I was wondering if you could provide link on the Mushoku B-T page linking it to this blog?

    ReplyDelete
  29. crying as sentimental 12 aged girl. D'''':

    ReplyDelete
  30. Fuck, I teared up.

    Is he really only 74? Seems rather young in a world which has amazing healing magic.

    I thought he would make it to 90+. I actually thought his dream was in real time and he actually saw Hitogami getting sealed in real time, but nope... It was still the future.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hmm... Wasn't Future Rudeus around 74 when he went back in time? I find it a cool call back seeing how our Rudeus used gravity magic to help Fennis but not heal himself; similar to how Future Rudeus used gravity magic to help his past self but not heal himself. Both fell against the onslaught of time and were too far gone for magic to save them, but one died alone filled with regrets, while the other died surrounded by friends and family filled with happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Спасибо!(Thank you)

    ReplyDelete
  33. i was very wrong in reading this in the very start of my day! now my heart is heavy! some stupid ninjas cutting onions !!! ahhh.... RUDEUS!!!!! ERIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. i was very wrong in reading this in the very start of my day! now my heart is heavy! some stupid ninjas cutting onions !!! ahhh.... RUDEUS!!!!! ERIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Good ending. R.I.P. Rudi and Eris. Thanks Kaezar and team for translating MT to this stage!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Manly tears were shed! thanks to the translators! I'm both happy and sad with the ending T__T

    ReplyDelete
  37. Noo Rudi will be immortal

    ReplyDelete
  38. thanks for the hard work ! u guys have my respect -bow-

    ReplyDelete
  39. Really nice chapter man! This made me cry so hard!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Thanks a lot. I really appreciate what your team had done. I also agree with your point. The glory should not be taken by baka tsuki. Cheers for the hardwork! And once again, thanks a lot!!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. God damn you onion cutting ninjas.... i wanted the ending to be total happy end where he is in heaven with Eris, Sylphy and Roxy enyojing eternity together.... tears just cant stop.... and his every last word was like stab with knife into heart.... why he was born human.... after reading all of this just makes my life much more harder.... even if it was atleast little bit happy end where his life didnt suck like his life in Japan and it was fullfilling and he didnt slack off to the very end, its not enough for me... i want to read the finall word like this: "After i closed my eyes everthing went black and i let them closed for a while, but after i opened them i saw Eris, Sylphy and Roxy lying on my usual bed by my side looking sexy as always with smiles on their faces" the end.

    But ending like this wont be good and lot of people wont like it (maybe just i would liked this kind of end of my favorite webnovel and still ending like this would make me cry because every volume was so good and detailed that i would cry with almost any ending... but yeah the actual ending really reaaaallly hurt, cause its one hour i fineshed this and my heart is still beating so fast and my eyes area still full of tears...)

    ReplyDelete
  42. This was an awesome ride, you guys! Thank you very much, I'll apply what I learned from this story. Really thankful for this. Bye

    ReplyDelete
  43. I occasionally comeback and read through this story. I gotta say thanks man.

    This story is a masterpiece and we'd never of scene it without you and the rest of your group.

    On a related note, the damn onion ninjas are still around. I can't get through this chapter without crying.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Muito obrigado aos tradutores e o autor dessa belicima obra. Estou ano em minha cama quase nas lágrimas com esse final feliz. J.V direto do Brasil :v

    ReplyDelete
  45. Thanks... For everything that let me read this stories until the end.... Really

    ReplyDelete
  46. Pour one out for the man the myth the legend rudi

    ReplyDelete
  47. It made me cry thank you so much

    ReplyDelete
  48. Cheers for a man who truly love his family. He is pervert, yet the
    most good honest pervert ever 😂... Someone stop the ninja pls 😂😂😂

    ReplyDelete
  49. No regrets here.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Can't come up with any words to comprehend it. It's just too realistic and really was a masterpiece. But even still my heart cries in pain for Eris and for Rudi.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Farewell Rudy&Eris and I hope you two still together forever T^T

    ReplyDelete
  52. This unforgettable moment and last your words I can't resist Rudy&Eris why? I don't know I thought everyone strong can live more years and why age 74 yrs 😭😭😭😭😭😭

    ReplyDelete
  53. Thank very much and Everything........
    I joined reading and watch your journey
    Rudy&Eris Farewell T^T

    ReplyDelete
  54. I cried when I saw that eris died and when I finished the last few words I just couldn't hold back the tears idk if this will ever get animated but if it does it will break the internet

    ReplyDelete
  55. Live well. Roxy, sylphy.

    ReplyDelete

Progress

Redundant Chapter XX


Translation
0%
Editing/Proofread
0%

Total Pageviews

Recent Comments

Powered by Blogger.